Monday, February 9, 2009

Name that tune

Today was our first day on our surgery posting. After we found our general surgery team and changed in to the most unflattering version of scrubs ever manufactured, we started observing a routine laparoscopic cholecystectomy. It was amazing because everything in their OR was the same but so different as well. They checked expiration dates of sterile water but it was a held in a glass tube inside of an oven mitt, the surgeons all wore sandals with no shoe coverings, but were very conscious of septic technique. The instruments were brought in from central sterile, but they were wrapped in brown cloth and tied with strings. It was very interesting to see the differences, and while we listened to an instrumental medley of American elevator music consisting of “are you lonesome tonight” and “I’m on top of the world looking down on creation…” playing name that tune under our breath, they had to emergently open due to bleeding and then proceeded to pull out a stone the size of a key lime out of a shredded gallbladder. After some more observing I headed home. I feel pretty bus savvy these days but I definitely got lost on the sprawling CMC campus so I opted to pay a little more for an autorickshaw. I flagged one down and hopped in. Apparently, another driver had his sights on my business those because he yelled and ran up, stuck his hand in the moving auto and turned off the engine. The men then began screaming at each other over my 30 rupees. I got so angry and felt so homesick at this point that I yelled “Just stop it!” and hopped out. I began to walk away and both men followed me yelling, “madame, auto!” I walked for several blocks before I grabbed a much friendlier auto. This is funny now because they are just so eager for business as the average Indian makes only 45 rupees a day, but at the time I was very annoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment