Monday, February 9, 2009

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?

From an early age I have appreciated a good map. Street maps, elevation maps, mall maps, it doesn’t matter. I love finding my location and then coming up with a logical series of turns to work through in order to get to a desired end point. I even played Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego on our very first PC computer in the early 90s with such zeal that you would think I would be a whiz at geography… or directions in general, but I am not. And guess who else isn’t. Everyone in India! Every time we are lost (which is often because most streets do not have names in English and several have no names posted whatsoever) we get a vague wave in some direction that often sends us on a fruitless search to another vague waver. If we do ask what direction a place is in in relation to our current location, no one even has the slightest idea. Apparently north doesn’t translate. And I am fairly certain that a street map of Vellore has never existed because the English speaking tourist center looked at us with such confusion when we ask for one. So we will continue wandering using such landmarks as “the good pineapple stand” and “that one curvy street” as guideposts in our travels. Oh India

No comments:

Post a Comment